Saturday, January 31, 2015

God Only Requires Three Things


Micah 6:6-8 -  What can we bring to the LORD to make up for what we've done? Should we bow before God with offerings of yearling calves?  Should we offer him thousands of rams and tens of thousands of rivers of olive oil? Would that please the LORD? Should we sacrifice our firstborn children to pay for the sins of our souls? Would that make him glad? No, O people, the LORD has already told you what is good, and this is what he requires: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

 

Micah directed his next words to all the people. He wanted them to hear the words God had given him to help them understand how to clean up the sin in their lives. The list of sins that God charged them with included turning away from him…impatience….making empty promises…. and unthankful hearts. There was no way to repay God for the trouble they had caused him….he just wanted them to start over in that moment and do three things.  Keep their activities with others fair….show mercy to all who had wronged them….and walk humbly in a daily relationship with him.

 

Micah advice from God translates perfectly for the world of today.  The list of sins is the same….I sure am guilty of all of them at one point or another. I sure can’t repay God for the gift he gave me in his son…so I need to concentrate on finding a way to do a better job of keeping my doings with others fair.  I ned to do a better job of showing mercy….especially to those that have hurt me. And walking closer with him every day and building a relationship with him like Micah had….can do nothing but strengthen me for whatever attacks satan has planned in my future.

 

It is a reminder to me that I am never as humble as I could be. I was reminded just last night in my amazing Celebrate Recovery group just how selfish and surface my life is sometimes. My problems …my hurts and hang ups pale in comparison to the daily struggle God is using to teach my friends how to cling to him more tightly. That verse in Luke  7:47 reminds me that forgiveness is key to grasping the full understanding of God’s great peace and mercy.  It says…. “Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little." What a great reminder of just how much I am blessed ….and how I need to thank him more…and whine less.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to concentrate more of the three things you require of me most.  Forgive me for the times that I have let the world blind me from being forgiving….doing what is right…and walking humbly with you evry day.  Take the remnant of pride and selfishness that keeps trying to make its way back in my life….and destroy it forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment