Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Hold Tight To Your Security Blanket...Forever


Amos 9:11-13 -  "In that day I will restore the fallen kingdom of David. It is now like a house in ruins, but I will rebuild its walls and restore its former glory. And Israel will possess what is left of Edom and all the nations I have called to be mine. I, the LORD, have spoken, and I will do these things."  "The time will come," says the LORD, "when the grain and grapes will grow faster than they can be harvested. Then the terraced vineyards on the hills of Israel will drip with sweet wine!

 

Amos ends his assignment by reminding the people once again that judgment is coming….and no one will escape it. It will be swift…leaving only a few of the great nation he established with Jacob.  He would take those few…and restore them beyond the greatness they had known…beyond the boundaries of the blood of Jacob…to a time when overabundance will be the norm.

 

His words were used once again in Acts 15:16-17.  Paul used them to support his belief that the Messiah came to save all mankind…not just the Jews.  He calls all of us to be his….all we have to do is believe on Jesus…and accept his love into our heart.  His love is the answer to world peace.  His love is the answer to every problem the world faces. 

 

His love is meant to transform our lives.  It is not a security blanket that we pick up when we need it…..it is meant to be carried with us full time…like Linus carried his worn out blanket in the Charlie Brown Cartoons. That blanket…worn from use over the years gave him a sweet nature. He always had kind words and wisdom to share with Charlie Brown.  He knew he would be a mess without it.

 

We are messes without the love and security of our relationship to Christ.  He can only teach us about his love when we are carrying him around with us everywhere we go. We should spend time with him daily…and let his light shine to everyone around us.  We should soak up his wisdom and sweetly share it with the world.

 

I am trying harder to keep Christ a part of my life.  I put him down once…bitter from a job loss…and my life became a mess. It took me 8 long years to realize that my problem wasn’t the job I lost. My problem was I had put down my blanket…and didn’t know how to find it again. It took the devastation from divorce in my first marriage to force me to look for it again. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to carry you everywhere I go and use your love to rule everything I do. Forgive me for the time that I put you down….and tried to live life without you.  Thank you for restoring our relationship…even though I did not deserve it…and showing me how to love again.  Help me to never put you down again…but continue to learn to share the wisdom you give me with others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment