Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Remember To Thank God For All He Has Done


Amos 2:9-11 -  "I destroyed the Amorite before them, though he was tall as the cedars and strong as the oaks. I destroyed his fruit above and his roots below.  "I brought you up out of Egypt, and I led you forty years in the desert to give you the land of the Amorites.  I also raised up prophets from among your sons and Nazirites from among your young men. Is this not true, people of Israel?" declares the LORD.

 

God continued to use Amos to speak to his own people.  He sent him to Moab…but then told him to take his words of judgment to Judah and Israel as well.  God was so angry that they had already forgotten all he had done for them.  God was displeased that they had turned their back on his laws and commands. They had even gone so far as to encourage the few Nazirites to stop the vows they had sworn before God as well.

 

It only takes a few moments of time in a good place to shade our memories of how God rescued us from the past. As the time passes….we forget the feelings of passion and comfort he brought to our heart and life when his love and mercy was new. The world easily distorts our view of what is right and wrong…and before you know it we are right back into a new mess.

 

I will be the first to admit that my life resembles the wanderings of the Israelites for the last 40 years.  I see God do a miracle in my life…revel in in and let it power me for a while.  But it doesn’t take me long to feel the pressure of the world…to begin to whine that life is not what I thought it would be as I step by faith into the future.  I forget all that he has already done for me …and forget to thank him for it.  I forget that God has a plan for the good of his kingdom…and begin to focus a little too much on me again.

 

Matthew 6:33 says…. “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  If we keep our eyes focused on God…not only will he shield us from most of those attacks of satan…he will give us the scripture and power to fight him with…just as he gave Jesus the strength and power to overcome his temptations for 40 days and nights in the wilderness. Jesus stayed so focused on his father that e only needed 33 years to complete his purpose here on earth.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to stayed focused on you at all times.  Forgive me when I have let my focus slip…and stepped back in the wrong direction from your will.  Help me to keep my eyes on you…and seek your kingdom first….so that you may give me what I need to complete the purpose you placed me here for.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment