Friday, January 2, 2015

Let God's Love Change Your LIfe


Hosea 8:1-3 - "Put the trumpet to your lips! An eagle is over the house of the LORD because the people have broken my covenant and rebelled against my law.  Israel cries out to me, 'O our God, we acknowledge you!'  But Israel has rejected what is good; an enemy will pursue him.

 

Hosea did not paint a comfy picture for these people that Had rebelled against the covenant they had made with God….the cried out to him a little too late to help them. He said the trumpet had already sounded for the enemy to come and deliver their punishment. Their cry for help was empty…a last effort to stay unaffected by the enemy God had sent to punish them.

 

They cried out with empty hearts…wanting their cake and eating it too.  They wanted God to rescue them…and leave them the way they were living.  They wanted God’s protection…but they did not want to follow his rules.  They applied God’s rules to everyone but themselves. They called out to God to ease their pain…without letting God’s love change their heart and life.

 

God allows pain in our lives to remind us that he is there to be our comfort. We can cry out to him in selfishness …just to ease our pain.  But what God really wants is for the pain to bring us closer to him.  He wants the pain we have felt to be a reminder that God is the giver and taker of any blessing.  He wants to soften our hearts so that his love can take root and grow a bigger blessing than we ever imagined on our own.

 

It is so very hard to explain what happens to your heart when you experience real pain from loss or tragedy. A hole is formed so big you think you will die from the emptiness it creates. You can fill it temporarily with things…..food…computer games…..cars…clothes….or even shopping. But the hole will never be filled until you ask God with all your heart to help you understand the purpose in your pain…and begin to fill it with his words and prayer for growth closer  to him.

 

Something amazing will happen.  You will want to do something so unreal to the human flesh that tried to trap you inside that emptiness.  You will become so in love with God that you can’t get enough of his Bible in your heart.  You will want to be in the fellowship of believers and worship as much as you can.  You will be driven to search more and more for God…instead of thinking of ways to get by with less of him.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that to ease the pain of some of the lessons you allow in my life I must draw closer to you for comfort and understanding. Forgive me for the days I get lost in my pain and forget that you are there to help me past the pity I feel. Help me to keep a light on in my heart….to remind me that you are there 24/7 if I need you.  Remind me more often to look in the Bible for the answers to my questions…and pray even harder for you to show me the purpose in the pain I have felt.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment