Friday, January 30, 2015

Don't Let The World Steal Your Peace


Micah 5:3-5 -   The people of Israel will be abandoned to their enemies until the time when the woman in labor gives birth to her son. Then at last his fellow countrymen will return from exile to their own land.  And he will stand to lead his flock with the LORD's strength, in the majesty of the name of the LORD his God. Then his people will live there undisturbed, for he will be highly honored all around the world.  And he will be the source of our peace. When the Assyrians invade our land and break through our defenses, we will appoint seven rulers to watch over us, eight princes to lead us.

 

Micah had told them to mobilize ….to ready themselves to be taken captive….but to look forward to the time when the Messiah would be born.  He foretold the coming of a baby born in the humblest of towns. The son of God would eventually bring peace to them.  He would feed them like no other king had done….for he would offer a peace that surpassed any they had ever known …and he would offer it to anyone who would believe on him. 

 

Part of his words came true in Luke 2. Jesus was born…then grew up to follow the will of God and be the last sacrifice needed for sin. He rose from the grave and returned to Heaven to prepare a place for all who call on his name.  But he left us with the Holy Spirit and a portion of the peace he will use to rule when he returns to set up his earthly kingdom.

 

John 14:27 records Jesus’ loving words just before he ascended to his father.  It says… “I am leaving you with a gift -- peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid. Paul explained just a bit more in Philippians 4:6-7.  It says…. “Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

 

It is a reminder to me to pray through every small thing that tries to steal that peace away from me. It is a reminder to me to thank him for everything…even the things that I don’t see as good at the time they happen. It is a reminder to cling even tighter to the promise he gave me in Jeremiah 29:11…all his plans are to make me stronger…to give me hope for my future.

 

 

Father….thank you for the reminder to seek your peace instead of letting the world trick me into a world of worry and fear. Forgive me for the times that I have failed to seek your peace…and let fear… worry… confusion… and doubt invade my thoughts.  Help me to cling even tighter to the promise of peace and prosperity….so I can use your power and Holy Spirit to guide and direct my thoughts and choices.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment