Sunday, January 11, 2015

Guard Against A Complacent Heart


Joel 3:1-2 -  "In those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem,  I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will enter into judgment against them concerning my inheritance, my people Israel, for they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land.

 

Joel told the people God’s plans for restoration when they returned to him with their whole heart. He would save anyone who believed in him and provide the highest level of refuge for their weary and worn lives. He was going to strengthen them nback into the nation that he had meant for them to be in the first place.

 

That promise was not just for the Israelites….it is for all people who believe in his power and name. His promise is the basis of hope for anyone that has ever suffered a loss….gone through hard times…or made a mistake that devastated their lives. He calls for us to wake up from our complacency….and share the truth of what God has done for us with others.

 

Complacency is a dangerous emotion to harbor in your life.  It makes you too comfortable with the routines in your life that provide happiness and pride. We should never rest too long in any one happy moment…we should let the reality of verse 14 ring in our hearts.  It says… “Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.”  That means there are always multitudes of people that will not be saved unless we share God’s Love with them.

 

I will be the first to admit that I spend too much time being content with the good things God has given me.  I need to step up my game…and let the reality of judgment for the nonbeliever rule what I do more that the blessings I exist in. God wants us to be happy and blessed so we can share what his love can do for others who don’t know him yet.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to guard against the emotion of complacency.  Forgive me for focusing too much of my time on pleasing myself.  Help me to take the happiness you have given me and share it more with others…so that less people will find themselves judged to not believe. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment