Monday, January 26, 2015

God Hates Sin...It Perverts Our Hearts


Micah 1: 2-4  -  Attention! Let all the people of the world listen! The Sovereign LORD has made accusations against you; the Lord speaks from his holy Temple.  Look! The LORD is coming! He leaves his throne in heaven and comes to earth, walking on the high places. They melt beneath his feet and flow into the valleys like wax in a fire, like water pouring down a hill.

 

Micah was sent to help the people understand that God’s anger was just as real as his love. It burned in his heart…consuming …destroying….all that threatened to contort the love that he had planned on giving them instead. He was sent to tell the people that God was going to judge every sin they committed and punish them for it.  He would destroy every idol that caused them to pervert the true worship of God.  He would right every injustice that people committed that oppressed others.

 

God still hates sin. His hatred of it is as real as the love he has for all he has created. Sin may start as a simple perversion of worship….or take the form of injustice to others…but it will eventually consume the heart that he wanted us to use to show his love to others.  The sin builds a base of pride that eventually becomes the thing that destroys all the love he meant for us to have.

 

Proverbs 6:16-19…give us the complete list of the things that God hates….it says….  “There are six things the LORD hates -- no, seven things he detests:  haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong,  a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord among brothers…”

 

I will admit that I have been guilty of most of these. …so it is a reminder to me to guard my heart from ever thinking that they are good to do again.  It is also a reminder that the only way to rid myself of these sins is to ask forgiveness  and repent of them….asking God to wash them far from me and give me the strength and power to walk in his love 24/7. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you hate sin.  You want our lives to be consumed by your love so we can share it with others.  Forgive me for the times that I have done anything that has disappointed you.  Reveal to me all those times so I can ask for your forgiveness and mercy….and you can wash it away from my heart. Give me a new power to walk in your love each day…so I can share it with them instead of the distorted version that satan tricks me into so easily. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment