Friday, January 16, 2015

Give And Worship From The Heart....Not Out of Routine


Amos 5:21-24 -   "I hate, I despise your religious feasts; I cannot stand your assemblies.  Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them.  Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps.  But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!

 

Amos sang a sad song to the people God had sent him too.  he could see the destruction that lay ahead for them because they were so stubborn…and would not listen to God’s warnings to repent. The people had lived in their sin for so long they thought that it was the right thing to do.  They tried to worship God along with all the other gods they gave sacrifices too.

 

God had grown to hate their double minded hearts…their false worship.  The offerings and songs they sang were empty…they came from years of routine…not a humble heart that wanted to please God.  Even though some of the offerings were the best they had…they were given out of obligation ….not love and praise.

 

It is a reminder to me that every act of worship…every gift or offering I give must be from the heart. I must constantly pray about where God wants me to use the resources he loaned to me to help provide for his work here on earth. My worship should be full of praise and thanks for his mercy…I should never just go to worship out of routine and habit.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that I need to examine my motives for worship and giving…to make sure that they are what you would want from me.  Forgive me for the times that I have written my tithe check out of habit…and failed to lift my heart up to you …to thank you…and ask where the resources you have given me can best be used.  Forgive me for the times that I have stepped inside my church out of routine.  Help me to examine my heart today for the ways you would have me invest what you have given me in others.  Teach me how to worship you more fully and expose all my heart for you to cleanse.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment