Monday, May 28, 2012

The Best Big Brother


Hebrews 2: 9-11 -  But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers.



I used to ask for a big brother….I was only blessed with four sisters. And even though I was never granted a brother ….I have always felt very blessed to have a great family surrounding me.  Even though our family is separated by distance and state lines…our faith has always connected us in ways that can’t be explained.  Jesus was strengthened by his family too…he had a loving mother…and a father who taught him carpentry skills…brothers and sisters who were raised in love.



But these verses…they describe for us how Jesus enlarged all our visions of family when he was born to Mary…how he makes us all a part of a larger family than any of us ever prayed to receive.  When we receive him as our savior…he becomes our big brother…and we get a most amazing Father in the deal! I must have missed that detail when I was saved at 14….never really thought about the fact that God answered my prayer for  a brother when he saved me that day. I sure got the best end of that deal…I couldn’t have found a better one for God to give me.



Father…thank you for showing me this answer to prayer that I had forgotten even asking for.  I thank you for the best big brother I could have ever ask for…and pray that you will help me to be a good sister…one who helps take care of the world for him until he returns to take me home. Forgive me once again for not noticing before now that you gave him to me….and help me to shout to the world what a great brother I have now.  Help me to see that my family has increased beyond the boundaries of genetics and blood lines…for with my brother’s blood I gained so many sisters and brothers I shall never be able to count them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment