Friday, May 25, 2012

Power of Forgiveness


Philemon: 8-12 - Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do,  yet I appeal to you on the basis of love. I then, as Paul--an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus-- I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains. Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.  I am sending him--who is my very heart--back to you. 

Paul is in prison for the first time in Rome…and he meets this broken slave named Onesimus.  We are not told how they meet…but we are told that Paul leads him to Christ.  Paul frees this slave from his chains of guilt…cause Onesimus ran away from his master…may have even stolen from him. But Paul doesn’t focus on what he did wrong…he focuses on telling Onesimus the truth of God and allows it to transform his confused heart to a heart that loves God….a heart that want to do right …a heart hat is transformed in love.  And immediately Paul sends him back with this touching letter to teach Onesimus….Philemon…and us the importance of forgiveness.

Forgiveness is rarely easy…to ask for or to give…but Paul insists on it here.  He calls for Onesimus to ask for it…and Philemon to give it.  He tells them that it must be a willing act of the heart….spontaneous not forced….and it must not only restore the relationship that was broken…it must raise it to a new level. In verses 15-16…Paul asked Philemon not only to forgive…but to consider Onesimus a brother…a partner, no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.  So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.”

I have spoken of the power of forgiveness before…it is a powerful force in changing your heart to love all people.  Mastering the art of forgiveness allows you to love regardless of economic status…political views…race…age…past mistakes.  True forgiveness allows you to see straight into the heart…like Paul did…and see the needs of those that God places in your path.  You know when you have truly forgiven…your tears wash away all traces of hate and confusion from your soul. You find yourself powered by love to do things ….things for the ones you used to hate….used to think were dangerous…used to think were not deserving of a hello. True forgiveness also allows you to wait after you have said you were sorry…for God to work on the heart of the one your hurt…or the one that hurt you.  The anger and impatience you used to feel is replaced with a sweet peace that God is working on it…and he is in control now.

Father…you are so amazing…to use my own tears of guilt to wash away the shame that powered my unforgiveness of others.  I thank you for showing me how to release an unending source of love and compassion by teaching me to forgive and ask for forgiveness. Forgive me for ever hating and wanting you to punish the ones that hurt me…help me to never be tricked by Satan to feel that way again. Help me to always let my love for you power the things I say and the way I feel toward anyone who hurts me in the future. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment