Wednesday, May 2, 2012

God's Clothing

Colossians 3: 12-15 -  Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

I don’t really like the idea of a uniform…but I think I will follow Paul’s advice on this one. He says to clothe myself in the wonderful character traits of God…to allow him to dress me with his love and forgiveness.  Makes perfect sense … we should layer on these great attributes …compassion …kindness …humility…gentleness…patience….and learn to let peace rule our hearts.

Compassion is a deep awareness of need…real compassion tugs at your heart…it causes you to want to be kind…to jump into action…to show others you truly care about them.  And when we do all things with humility….we see others needs before our own.  The kindness we show out of compassion and humility …it is a gentle reminder of Christ….how deep and complete his love is.  This kind of humble service to others is what builds true patience…the ability to love in spite of wrongs done…the ability to keep on giving …and a true peace washes over your heart and fills every last crevice with love and joy!

Paul sneaks in the thankfulness once again…thankfulness for what Christ has done for us…thankfulness for the ultimate act of love on that horrid cross…thinking of us before he thought of his own pain. Thankfulness for what he did for us generates more humble service to others…which increases love on the Earth…which makes Satan very frustrated by the way.

I like the point that Ray Steadman makes in Adventuring Through the Bible, “When our hearts are right with Christ, if we are putting off the old and putting on the new, then we can go through the tough times—experiences that would produce grumbling, griping, and despair in others—and we can find joy! Genuine, lasting, dependable, reliable, supernatural joy!

I am not there yet… but I long for it…I desire to want to jump out of bed each morning and do nothing but serve God all day long….to listen for  his voice tell me where to go and who to help. I am listening for his voice to call me to drop my fishing nets….leave everything and follow him…and become a true disciple …like the twelve who left all that they knew and clothed themselves in the presence of Jesus. 

Father….I thank you once again for the wisdom you allowed Paul to record for us in your bible. Help me this day to clothe myself only in these things that show your love to others.  Give me double portions of compassion for others so that I may increase my kind deeds to EVERYONE around me. Help me to be humble and gentle so your patience can begin to rule in my heart and make me more joyful.  I praise you and thank you for all that you have done for me…help me find new ways to share all my blessings with others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment