Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mentoring


Titus 2: 11-15 -  For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.  It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,  while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,  who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.  These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.

Paul’s simple letter to Titus is calling us all to maturity….where he tells us that we should be so confident in our doctrine that we begin to mentor others.  Paul tells us to say no to the world and its immaturity…and strengthen our faith by teaching others the truth of the gospel.  Paul gives the specifics for each gender and age in the verses that precede this summary.  He throws around phrases like….worthy of respect….sound in love and endurance…reverent in the way they live…having self-control…these are the things that mark true maturity…a person who allows God to guide their actions and their heart.

Paul calls us all to be mentors…to share the knowledge and wisdom we have each received from God in our individual walks with him.  A mentor doesn’t just talk the talk…they walk the walk…exercise good judgment in all that they do…they model the good in all situations …so that others know it is possible to walk through tough times and come out on the other side stronger…so that others know that is is possibly to love God and say no the things of this world.

I can’t use the excuse that I am not wise enough to be a mentor anymore.  Even if I choose not to actively go out and teach what God has taught me….other people are watching me. They watch what I do…they listen to what I say…even more so if they know I proclaim to believe in God. They watch to see if I will be self controlled…worthy of respect….pure. And I think about all the mess that I have been through…mess that God has used to help me draw closer to him…. things that others will be asked to go through later in their life.  Everything that God has helped me to learn…everything he has used to make me more mature is something I can use to help someone else.

Father…I thank you for this reminder that I am a teacher…in all that I do…that I must always strive to show others a mature Christian … and be prepared to help others walk through the storms you have helped me to come through stronger than I ever dreamed.  You are so amazing…that even in this crazy world of temptations…you give us the power to live a godly life…and have people cross our pathway that need to hear just how you helped me learn to love you through my struggles. Forgive me for thinking that I am not good enough to be a teacher of others…but that through you I can do anything you ask me to do.  Give me eyes to see the hearts of others that you may send to me to share the wonderful testimony of how you have drawn me closer to you…how you have become my best friend.  Give me eyes to see the next temptation that Satan will use to trick me…to try and draw me away from your love and power.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment