Monday, May 21, 2012

Strength in Sharing


2 Timothy 4:16-18 -   At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them.  But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth.  The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Amazing…Paul is sitting in a small PRISON CELL…just waiting for Nero to call for him and probably chop his head off.  But Paul doesn’t focus on his impending death…he is writing a letter to Timothy…to tell him how to stay strong…to tell him how important the concept of forgiveness is…to encourage him…to testify to the strength that God gives him to endure such hardship. Paul’s gaze is heavenward…drinking in strength from God…envisioning the great reward for all the work he has done on the Earth…finding strength in the joy of knowing he will see Jesus in person soon!

Paul knew that part of his strength came from sharing what God had given him with others. If he could not preach in person ...he would write his sermons down. Satan did not hold Paul back by locking him up…he magnified his strength.  God used this time that Satan planned to stop Paul from spreading God’s message….to have Paul write all his great sermons on paper….so that all of us could benefit from them. Oh how thankful I am that God allowed Paul this time to write all the great wisdom in the many books of the Bible. I was given the privilege of knowing this man by reading his heart…a heart that beat solely for God.

Paul senses his death is near…and so he is tying up the loose ends of his life…calling for people he needs to restore relationships with…making sure all the important letters he wrote are in the hands of Timothy…who he trusts to share his words with others.  Paul is lonely for others to hold his hand…but he embraces his calling one last time…and reaches out to God to sustain him...to strengthen him…to give him new confidence in his purpose…to wait in the Lord on his deliverance…even if that means death.

I thank you father for Paul and his amazing testimony. Thank you for allowing him time to write down the wisdom from you that allowed him to be so strong.  Help me Lord to be strong like Paul…to look upward at you when things get hard on Earth.  Give me a new assurance that you will never leave me…that you will give me strength to endure all hardships and storms.  Make me confident …like Paul…of the message you want me to share.  Give me a vision of the joy I will share with you and Paul when you call me home.  Help me to run the race you have set out for me today…and open my eyes each morning to see just enough of the big picture to do what you need done that day. Help me not to worry about tomorrow or the new hardships it might bring….but lean totally on you to get me through anything you ask me to do.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment