Tuesday, May 15, 2012

God's Gift of Instructions

1 Timothy 4:13-16 - Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.  Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.  Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress.  Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Paul knew the importance of nurture….he longed to be with his friend Timothy …but he was also  confident in Timothy’s calling.  Paul knew that Timothy could continue to excel without him there to guide him if he would devote himself completely to the study of God’s directions in the bible.  Paul tells him here to …be diligent …watch his life and doctrine closely…so his study would teach him how to live correctly….and his model would prove his love for Christ.

We are not told Timothy’s specific ‘gift’…most commentaries believe it was probably a call to preach….a call to teach God’s word….but no matter what we believe the ‘gifting’ was…Timothy was given clear instructions here to study and prove himself to the community he had been placed in.  Paul…writing once again from his prison cell…this time …maybe…sensing his execution was near…under the great power of the Holy Spirit…he is compelled to give one of his successors the secret to his great knowledge.  Paul wants Timothy to take the great base his mother and Grandmother planted in his heart...and begin to study and refine what he tells others about God.

How amazing is our God to use some of Paul’s last words to Timothy…to commission all of us to be more diligent in our studies….to pour our self into God’s word…so that those around us can see the progress we are making.  He specifies some of the qualities we should work on in verses 11-12, “ Command and teach these things.  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.”  In my case it would say…don’t let anyone tell you that old dogs can’t learn new tricks…but the message after is the same….we can all strive to be more Godly…clean up our speech…live more pure lives of faith…and love others more. Paul knew that if we studied the bible…we would find the directions to do all these things and more.

Father…I thank you again this morning for leaving me the great testaments’ of your chosen apostles to guide me in my daily walk with you.  I praise you for loving Paul so much that he was able to write such tremendous words of encouragement to Timothy from the jail cell where he awaited his glorious meeting with you.  Forgive me once again for waiting so long…for wasting so much of my time here on Earth being satisfied with Sunday sermons…Sunday school lessons…for thinking that the base you built in my heart as a child was enough to help me grow into a mature Christian.   I took so much for granted Lord and I am so sorry. Instill in me a thirst for you that includes more time spent in your direction book.  Help me to find more time to study its great wisdom and become a Christian that others can see growing and changing daily because of how you help me apply what I read….and in the process save myself like Paul….and become so strong I can be used of you in any circumstance you place me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment