Thursday, May 24, 2012

Proof we love God the Most!


Titus 3: 3-7 -   At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another.  But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared,  he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,  whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior ,  so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 

Paul was given such a gift with words…it it so amazing how he paints a beautiful picture of what happens to us when we are washed in God’s love.  The old foolish person….so deceived by the world’s passion and pleasures is transformed by the powerful love of Jesus’ death on the cross and the embodiment of the Holy Spirit in our heart.  God’s mercy sees us at our worst…and calls us to a new life…then his kindness overtakes our old harden hearts. His kindness draws us into a relationship with God that gives us the power to leave the world and its passions behind.

Like any good relationship…we have a tendency to take what we need and not be faithful to God every day.  Our power to stay strong and allow the kindness God planted in our hearts to blossom into good deeds is hampered by just how much time we spend with the father. I have to admit that I am still foolish many days…allowing Satan to trick me into some crazy worldly thought. The ME disease I suffer from wins many days….it convinces me the few minutes I spend at night reading the bible…the hour it takes me to write these devotionals…it tells me that is good…that I have done enough.

But the good works stuff…. that Paul talks about in verse 14….it is the proof to the rest of the world…proof to even our own hearts… that God truly controls our hearts. He says, “Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives.” We should be so compelled to ‘do what is good’…that we begin to see the needs of others as more important than ourselves…I am sure it is the cure for the ME disease.

Father…I thank you that you love me…that you sent Jesus to save me from myself.  I thank you that you are my best friend and that I have the best role model in the world to pattern my life after. Forgive me Lord for allowing the world to trick me into thinking that I deserve anything.  Help me to accept your mercy…your grace….anew this morning….and ask you to wash all the ME right back out of my heart.  Replace the foolish person that struggles to find a middle ground and stay partially in the world…with a new creature …ruled by your kindness and love…finally able to see the hurts of others that compelled you to die on that cross and save us all. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment