Saturday, May 19, 2012

Instructions for Strength


2 Timothy 2:1-6 -  You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.  And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.  Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.  No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs--he wants to please his commanding officer.  Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules.  The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops.

If anyone modeled for us how to be strong in God’s grace it was Paul.  Paul knew that the grace he experienced in Christ was like no grace found on the Earth.  God’s grace is unmerited…undeserved…a precious gift that provides us with not just salvation…but the Holy Spirit’s presence….which helps us develop the gift within our own soul.  It is one thing to receive a gift…it is altogether another thing to use the gift once you have opened it. Paul is telling us to open that gift and get it out of the box…to take it off the shelf….to use it…to share it with others around us. Paul is telling us to carry that gift everywhere we go and tell others who gave it to us.

Paul uses three personality examples to help us understand how to be strong in God’s grace…to grow and use our gifts to the fullest.  He says we need to be good soldiers … dedicated to our leader …loyal to the end….willing to die for the cause of Christ if called to do so. He says we need to be like an athlete…so passionate about our Lord that we are disciplined to serve him no matter what…running each race he gives us to win.  He also tells us to be like the farmer….dedicated to a full season…carefully watching our crop….protecting it from the things that threaten to ruin the harvest we will enjoy when the growing season is over.

Paul goes on in this chapter to tell us not to waste time quarreling over words…to stay away from idle chatter….for it will cause us to lose strength.  His words in verse 15 have always been one of my favorites…but I never really paid attention to verse 16 that follows it  , “ Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.  Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.”   Paul is not talking about gossip here…he is warning us not to engage in theology discussions that do not promote God’s kingdom. Paul knew that if we spend our time discussing what the bible teaches too much we might become distracted from the work God needs us to do. If we spend too much time trying to debate the meanings…the hidden truths…we might become more focused on the  words themselves…and never put them into action.

Father ….help me this morning to take my gift out of the box and use it.  Forgive me for taking so long to realize that the gift you gave me in salvation was so much more than I ever knew.  Help me this morning to really understand the grace you gave me when you called me to be yours. Help me to learn how to be strong in your grace and use your grace to help me grow. Help me be a good soldier…willing to go everywhere you ask…and complete each task you give me till complete…so I can win the race for you…and see the harvest you will provide from my work. Help me not to get caught up in idle chatter Lord….give me wisdom and discernment in every discussion …so that I may avoid any discussion that will not further your kingdom.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment