Saturday, May 5, 2012

Seeking God

1 Thessalonians 2:2-4 -  We had previously suffered and been insulted in Philippi, as you know, but with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in spite of strong opposition.  For the appeal we make does not spring from error or impure motives, nor are we trying to trick you.  On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts.

If Paul listed every persecution…every ill word said to his face…counted every stripe or beating he received…calculated the hours spent in prison…it blows my mind that he could make this bold statement to the Thessalonians.   It is one of the dearest traits of Paul…his ability to cling to God in spite of severe persecution…and continue on in the strength he received from God.  The phrase…with the help of God…is something Paul understood well.

He says the key to strength and perseverance is to have God’s approval.  We must seek God in everything that we do…everything that we say…we must pray to God to show us what to do for him….like David said in Psalm 50:15, “And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.”…  We must study…like Timothy tells us in 2 Timothy 2:15, “ Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.”

I am learning to study in a way that keeps the context of the bible in its original intent.  I was guilty for years of thinking about what I wanted…or what my friends wanted….and going to find a verse that fit it…that justified what I  …what we wanted to do. Believe me…that got me nowhere fast…just helped me to do the opposite of what Paul is teaching us here.  It is one of Satan’s best tricks…he deceives us into thinking that what we ‘think’ is supported by the bible.  But if we are honest…we never really ask God.  We might have lifted a prayer…ask God to bless it…but he never did…because if we had waited for his answer…he would have told us no….I need you to do this instead.

Thank you father for Paul’s strong words this morning.  Words that tell me to be ever so careful what I do and say.  Words that tell me how important it is to ask you about everything I do and say…to be very sure that what I think is also what you think I should do.  Thank you for using Paul…for giving him the strength to endure persecution that is unthinkable to me…thank you for allowing him the strength to write so much wisdom down in your holy bible…so that I too can learn to be strong…to really listen to you…to pray…to study…to learn your will for my life. Father…forgive me for the times that I have tried to justify what I wanted by twisted your words…or taking them out of the context that you intended.  Help me to search your bible for guidance in the future with a prayer of purity…to seek what you want with no preconceived notions…to pray for what each verse  means to all…not just to me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment