Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Choose Forgiveness Over Bitterness And Hate


1 Chronicles 20:1-2 -  In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war, Joab led out the armed forces. He laid waste the land of the Ammonites and went to Rabbah and besieged it, but David remained in Jerusalem. Joab attacked Rabbah and left it in ruins.  David took the crown from the head of their king--its weight was found to be a talent of gold, and it was set with precious stones--and it was placed on David's head. He took a great quantity of plunder from the city…

 

One of David’s many talents was his ability to fight.  God had given him a passion to rid the land of all the people who threatened his nation’s worship of God. He was both a warrior and leader in battle…collecting plunder from his battles and dedicating it to God’s service...most of it going into storehouses…to be ready for his son …whichever one God picked…. to build a temple.

 

Spring was a time of war in this season of time.  The kings would spend their long winters…unable to mobilize the troops in harsher weather...plotting the next move they would make.  The strong emotions from planning a battle would burst through just as the weather warmed the land…and allowed the troops to carry out the carefully laid plans.  The release of bitterness and hate …built up over the long winter….provided energy for their battles.

 

God used this phenomenon to build a strength in his people…to build a passion to help them in battle.  But it seems that satan stole the idea and continues to use it to tear us away from God’s pure love.  He takes and plants a seed of bitterness and hate in our hearts…and convinces us to keep it there…so it will fester….and increase in intensity.  And one day we go out…and it explodes into a scene…of ugliness that does not resemble God in any way.

 

I am guilty….and could tell you story after story of how I messed up…and allowed satan to control my anger…and use it to build unhealthy habits…that kept me from understanding God’s more controlled love…and compassion. The worst story was when bitterness and hate exploded one day and tricked me into thinking a divorce was my only option. I am still trying to repair the damage it did to my children.

 

I can also tell you how he has transformed me into a much more loving person…with a new heart of compassion…where bitterness and hate used to be. I could share with you how his forgiveness has taught me how to forgive.  Because he forgave me for my many mistakes…I am able to forgive others that hurt me.

 

Father…I thank you for this story that reminds me that you are a loving God that forgives…and even teaches me how to forgive others.  Help me to use the time you give me to study and plan how I can best serve you…so that when satan tries to trick me into getting angry…or tries to plant a seed of bitterness…I will have your strength...your words to battle him with. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment