Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Holy Spirit Come Affirm Our Hearts


1 Chronicles 12:17-18 -   David went out to meet them and said to them, "If you have come to me in peace, to help me, I am ready to have you unite with me. But if you have come to betray me to my enemies when my hands are free from violence, may the God of our fathers see it and judge you."  Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, chief of the Thirty, and he said: "We are yours, O David! We are with you, O son of Jesse! Success, success to you, and success to those who help you, for your God will help you." So David received them and made them leaders of his raiding bands.

 

After David had been anointed king for the third time….great warriors flocked to his kingdom be a part of his military.  They were strong men…courageous and determined…well practiced in their skills…at the peak of their physical strength.  But one thing David could not determine with his eyes was their heart…so he went out to meet them…and spoke bluntly to them about their intentions.

 

It was the Holy Spirit…who saw a need to intervene…that came down and spoke through his military chief Amasai.  The words spoken through Amasai by the Holy Spirit put all doubt away from David’s heart…so confident was he about the hearts of these men that he made them leaders of his raiding bands.

 

It was one huge celebration…as they all gathered around the city and ate and drank…for three days!  Other cities even sent food and supplies to the enormous party they had in their joy. God had answered the fervent prayers David had prayed for so many months in those caves….by allowing his enemy Saul to die.  God had raised David up to be king of all Israel…..and rallied the men around him he would need to carry out God’s plan for his chosen kingdom.

 

David wasn’t the only one that was relieved and joyous over Saul’s death…. seeing the anointing of Samuel so long ago finally become a reality in his life. The people of Israel were ready for a change….they had suffered under the rule of Saul…and looked forward to what changes David might make.  The spirit did more than just affirm the hearts of the men who came to fight for David…it lit a passion…a fire in the hearts of all who heard the words of devotion spoken to the new king.  They were thirsty for God to be relevant in their lives once more.  They were thirsty to see the power God had manifested in his people….in all the stories they had heard about the days of Moses.

 

That’s what we need folks…the Holy Spirit to come down and light a fire in believers all over the world.  Like the he is trying to light in my home town….where he has given my church a vision…of a larger church…and ministries that would fill a 55 acre plot of land.  We called the spirit down to dedicate it Sunday…June 30…and poured oil out on the corners of the temporary tent that was erected to shelter us from the elements. We ate and ate and drank pop…and tons of water. God even sent us a rainbow that evening after the service….that sent a warm chill to my heart as my eyes traced its origin to the exact spot we had picked to start the construction of the new church. It is amazing to hear the progress of paying the note completely off….and how quickly God is providing the funds to make our church vision a reality. 

 

We left the tent up for a week…and held revival services every night.  It was the first tent revival I remember being a part of since I was a child.  Many people were saved…and the spirit reaffirmed the passion in many of us to work a little a harder at making God relevant to our lives. It was a grand celebration I hated to see end….my heart wanting to leave the tent up until the new church is erected....just like the tabernacle God lived in so long ago….just like David and his men as they celebrated the anointing of a new king…and the possibilities of how God would reestablish himself among them.

 

Father…I thank you for sending your spirit so long ago to ignite a passion in the hearts of these people.  Send your spirit once again to ignite a fire and passion in my heart as well….to make sure that everything I do is in line with your plan for my life.  Help me to celebrate the small steps you help me take towards loving you completely…and always listen for your spirit to guide me….so I can quickly be the servant you need me to be…and lead others to your amazing love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment