Monday, July 22, 2013

Dedicate Everything You Have To God


1 Chronicles 18:9-11 -  When Tou king of Hamath heard that David had defeated the entire army of Hadadezer king of Zobah,  he sent his son Hadoram to King David to greet him and congratulate him on his victory in battle over Hadadezer, who had been at war with Tou. Hadoram brought all kinds of articles of gold and silver and bronze.  King David dedicated these articles to the LORD, as he had done with the silver and gold he had taken from all these nations: Edom and Moab, the Ammonites and the Philistines, and Amalek.

 

David’s reign was so blessed by God that he overcame the Philistine army that had fought against Israel since he was a boy.  He conquered the neighboring kingdom of Moab…and killed all the Syrians that came to help them.  These countries paid large sums of money to David….as a tribute. This king… Tou of Hamath…saw the power that David had to conquer his nation…and was overjoyed that he had already conquered one of his enemies lands….so he sent him congratulations and gifts…in order to build an alliance.

 

David’s humble heart accepted the gifts for what they were…and then dedicated them to God…so God could decide how best to use them.  It even tells us that this wasn’t the first time David had dedicated something to God...for David dedicated all the spoils of the wars he received from fighting with other nations...to the God that had placed him upon the throne of Israel….and promised to keep his sons and family as heirs forever.

 

It is a huge reminder to me that what we receive as blessings need to be dedicated to God…before we decide what human use they have.  David took some of these spoils…the gold…silver and the bronze…and set it aside…saved it for Soloman….to build God’s new home…a grand temple. We are not told what David did with the rest…but my heart tells me that most of it was saved….because David had been convicted of living a little too high and lofty just a few chapters back.

 

God has blessed me with so very much…but I admit in this moment…I can’t remember taking each thing he gave me and dedicating it to his service. I can however learn from David….and begin in this moment to place my knees on an altar…and thank him for what comes my way today…and even take a moment to thank him for any good thing he gave me I might have forgotten to ask him to bless.  I can dedicate all that I have in my possession in this moment…to his service…and ask him what he wishes me to do with it from this moment on.

 

Father…I thank you for this reminder that everything I have belongs to you.  Thank you for the blessings you have showered on me and give me ears and eyes to listen to how you would have me use it to bring more people into an understanding of your love. Send me clear directions of how I should use the resources you have given me…make them clear…so I will see and hear your voice plainly.  Thank you God….for allowing me to be your child….for sending your son to pay any debt I owed so that I could enjoy your love ...with no fees involved. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment