Sunday, July 7, 2013

What Are You Doing With Your Life?


1 Chronicles 3:1-4 -  These were the sons of David born to him in Hebron: The firstborn was Amnon the son of Ahinoam of Jezreel; the second, Daniel the son of Abigail of Carmel;  the third, Absalom the son of Maacah daughter of Talmai king of Geshur; the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith;  the fifth, Shephatiah the son of Abital; and the sixth, Ithream, by his wife Eglah.  These six were born to David in Hebron, where he reigned seven years and six months. David reigned in Jerusalem thirty-three years…

 

The third chapter of 1 Chronicles begins the long list of names that proves the line of David finally produced a Messiah.   Nineteen sons are eventually listed in the first nine verses….each wife listed with her sons. And tagged on to the list ….is a statement that David had more children by his concubines…but none were important enough to be listed as his heirs.

 

It is also interesting to see that the oldest child of David did not become king when David became too old to rule the kingdom.  He passed the honor to the fourth son born to him…once he reestablished the capital of Israel in Jerusalem.  Solomon….whose heart was most like his father…was given the honor …breaking the traditions that called for the eldest in a family to receive the highest honor and blessings.

 

Perhaps this is a reminder that the order of our birth… is not as important as what we do with our life.  Solomon was the one son of David who asked for wisdom…instead of glory and wealth and power.  And God honored that request…and made Solomon one of the greatest kings of Israel.

 

Makes me wonder if I am doing enough with my own life….am I aligned with God’s will and purpose….do my actions and thoughts each day help build a better world and lead others to the truths of the Bible?  If I am honest…I have to say I simply am not there yet…hard as I might try. That selfish nature born into my flesh wins more than the love God has planted in my heart…and satan tricks me daily. I guess I had better try a little harder….to make my life count for something. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that my life needs to count.  Help me this morning to search out your will and purpose …so that I can make the days I have left on this earth mean more than the days that I have used up being self-centered and lazy.  Give me a new passion to work harder  for you…calling on you for strength when the old nature tries to trick me into giving up.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment