Tuesday, July 30, 2013

We Are Gatekeepers


1 Chronicles 26:13-16 -  Lots were cast for each gate, according to their families, young and old alike.  The lot for the East Gate fell to Shelemiah. Then lots were cast for his son Zechariah, a wise counselor, and the lot for the North Gate fell to him.  The lot for the South Gate fell to Obed-Edom, and the lot for the storehouse fell to his sons.  The lots for the West Gate and the Shalleketh Gate on the upper road fell to Shuppim and Hosah. Guard was alongside of guard:

 

David continues to assign duties to the tribe of Levi…so that the temple would be fully staffed…and everyone would know their role in caring for God’s house. They needed priests to be in charge of the treasury…priests to judge and keep the vast territories working together with God’s laws always in front of their hearts…and still other priests to serve at the temple gates.

 

Whether they be called gatekeepers…or guards…their duties included more than just standing at the four temple gates…and important roads that led to the temple.  Some were posted throughout the night to simply watch for intruders or unclean elements that might try to enter the temple.  Others kept careful checks on the furniture and utensils used in the sacrifice rituals…making sure they were always in working order for the ceremonies. Still others stored…organized…and maintained the food supplies for the priests.  And some simply counted and organized the gifts and offerings that were not burned on altars.

 

It dawned on me as I was researching these many duties …that I too am a gatekeeper. 1 Corinthians 6:19 clearly records Paul’s words… “ Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;”  For when Jesus came to die on that cross for my sins…the temple veil was torn from top to bottom… and God left that inner room to reside in every heart that accepted the gift his son gave to all who would believe.

 

I must assume the many duties of these priests…keeping my life organized….maintaining the gifts he gave me to serve him…praying over how he wants me to share the many blessings he gives me every day.  I must keep constant watch for anything that threatens to lessen my relationship with him…and guard my heart …so nothing can enter that is unclean.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that this body I live in…is not my own.  It is your temple…and I must be a better gatekeeper…to guard all that is good you have placed there.  Help me to keep better watch over my heart...and recognize satan when he tries to trick me into accepting something unclean as good.  Give me the added strength and courage and wisdom I need to guard my heart….and keep it a place that you would be proud of. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment