Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Thank You God For Music


1 Chronicles 6:31-32 -  These are the men David put in charge of the music in the house of the LORD after the ark came to rest there.  They ministered with music before the tabernacle, the Tent of Meeting, until Solomon built the temple of the LORD in Jerusalem. They performed their duties according to the regulations laid down for them.

 

This chapter lists the Levite names that held the honor of caring for the temple of God.  They took care of it….stood at the altars of God to offer their sacrifices…and some of them were even trained by King David to minister to the people with music. Perhaps King David remembered the days he spent caring for the sheep…and he calmed them with his lyre.

 

The importance of music to worship is mentioned throughout the Bible…like in Hebrews 2:12….where it says… “I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.”  And one of my favorites is Psalm 95:5….. “Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!”

 

Music calms us…like the music David played to his sheep…or the music he was asked to play to King Saul when he lost control.  Music expresses our happiness and gratefulness to God….just like Miriam…in Exodus 15… who danced before God and sang to express her excitement. Music expresses the highest praise we can give to our God…and if we don’t sing ….Luke 19:40 Jesus told the people gathered to listen to him preach ….“I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

 

I for one am so grateful that David placed such a great emphasis on music.  I can put a Christian CD in my player…or turn on K-LOVE…and feel an instant boost in my spirit.  I can listen to the music in my worship service …close my eyes…and feel the presence of God descend into the room. I am always transformed by its soothing…or its exciting strands of praise.  It sure elevates my job as choir member to something much more important than I thought.

 

Thank you God for David’s love of music…and thank you for giving him the wisdom to include its use in the church service.  Help me to appreciate its beauty beyond something just to listen too….to  always appreciate its ability to calm…to always see its power to bring the spirit of God into the place where I am worshiping. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment