Saturday, July 13, 2013

God Can Restore Us When We Are Broken


1 Chronicles 9:1-4 -  All Israel was listed in the genealogies recorded in the book of the kings of Israel. The people of Judah were taken captive to Babylon because of their unfaithfulness.  Now the first to resettle on their own property in their own towns were some Israelites, priests, Levites and temple servants.  Those from Judah, from Benjamin, and from Ephraim and Manasseh who lived in Jerusalem were:  Uthai son of Ammihud, the son of Omri, the son of Imri, the son of Bani, a descendant of Perez son of Judah.
 
The people of Judah were punished for their unfaithfulness to God…but just like it was prophesied in Jeremiah…they were allowed to return to their homeland after about 70 years.  They left the land of their captivity…wiser from the lessons God taught them while he had their attention….while they couldn’t run from his discipline. 
 
They returned to a broken Jerusalem…torn down by the wars that captured their families.  It must have been a bittersweet walk back into town…their hearts full of joy and gladness for their release….but reality seeping into their souls as they saw the destruction of their homes …and the devastation of the temple. 
 
They had to rebuild their lives on an old foundation…scared by war and the memory of how they had left God out of their lives. If they were to survive...they had to quickly put the past behind them…and focus on the work that needed to be done. They had to focus on the present…make plans for how they were to replace the important things they would need to survive.
 
A huge number of Levites returned with them….and divided the tasks of rebuilding the temple…so that people could worship God once again. They reestablished the temple according to the rules Moses had written down…focusing the people’s hearts and minds and souls back on the one thing that would help them get through this hard time.
 
It reminds me once again of how broken our lives are from the tragedies God allows in our lives.  Every day I read about a new one God has allowed somewhere in the world. And whether the hardship was caused by our own decisions…or allowed in our life to teach us something God needed us to know… we simply can’t stay broken.  We must rebuild the brokenness ….focus on God…and allow him to show us the new blueprint for rebuilding what he needs to be there to use us to build his kingdom.
 
I can tell you from experience that the rebuilding process is not easy…or fast.  God’s been twisting my mind and heart and soul into new understandings of who he is and what he needs from me for 4 years now.  It is a daily process…one day at a time…one Bible lesson a day….and I if I continue to put him first…this will continue for the rest of my life.
 
Father…thank you for this story of rebuilding…and restoration.  Help me to always remember that you are working on changing me into what you need me to be …so you can use me to spread the truth of your gospel.  Help me to never listen to satan …when he tries to remind me of my scars…and tell me I can’t do what you have called me to do.  Give me courage …and wisdom of the scriptures you open up to my heart every day…so that I can quote them when he tries to deceive me. Help me focus on you father…so that I can always draw on your strength and power to achieve exactly what you put me here on Earth to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment