Friday, July 12, 2013

Divorce is Not The End Of Blessings


1 Chronicles 8:8-13 -  Sons were born to Shaharaim in Moab after he had divorced his wives Hushim and Baara.  By his wife Hodesh he had Jobab, Zibia, Mesha, Malcam,  Jeuz, Sakia and Mirmah. These were his sons, heads of families.  By Hushim he had Abitub and Elpaal.  The sons of Elpaal: Eber, Misham, Shemed (who built Ono and Lod with its surrounding villages),  and Beriah and Shema, who were heads of families of those living in Aijalon and who drove out the inhabitants of Gath.

 

The tribe of Benjamin must have been important….for the genealogy of this tribe takes an entire chapter. Tucked away in the names of the Benjamites are the names of Bela…his first born…Saul…the first king of Israel…and his unselfish son Jonathan…who recognized God’s calling on David’s life…and gave up his right to the throne. But there is also a woman’s name tucked away in this chapter…who must have hurt from the stresses of divorce…but was still used of God to bring children into the world that achieved great things.

 

The word divorce hit my heart as soon as I read it…I kept trying to ignore it…but God kept bringing my attention to these verses. Other verses in the Bible tell us how wrong it is…how much God hates it…but these verses simply list it as something that happened…God neither condoning nor approving of Shaharaim’s actions.

 

It is complicated….what divorce does to the soul of a woman.  God allows it…for reasons unknown…just like he allowed it for Hushim.  God hates it…and hates the way it destroys the lives of families…models for children that love can be disposable.  I hate every day that I made the decision to give up on my first marriage of thirty years… knowing deep in my heart that God was very disappointed in me the day I drove away from that marriage.

 

But this scripture reminds me that God’s love overcomes the hurt of divorce…even blesses us despite the actions we take that cause ourselves such deep hurt.  Hushim was even listed in the genealogy of the tribe of Benjamin…her children important enough to be named in this great book.  That means my life is important to God despite the choice I made to divorce….the future can still hold great promises…my life can still have meaning and purpose.

 

The trick is to accept what you did…ask God to forgive you…forgive anyone who hurt you…then move on with your life.  You must also ask God to repair the damage you did to your family…help them to forgive you for walking out on the commitment you made to their father…and then trust God to work a plan to heal all involved. God doesn’t hold grudges…that is what us humans do best.  God forgives and forgets…and builds around us a new life…that he can use to help others come to know his great love.

 

Thank you father that you love me in spite of the wrong choices I have made in life.  Thank you for this story that reminds me that Life did not stop the day I signed divorced papers.  Thank you for your forgiveness that allows you to build me into a new person….that can forgive and love in ways she never knew were possible.  Help me to always remember that you are working a plan to heal the damage I did to my children… and that one day you will make them into something great. Give me a new dose of courage and faith to wait on you to work your love into their lives. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment