Sunday, July 21, 2013

If You say Wait....I Will Wait


1 Chronicles 17:16-18 -   Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said: "Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?  And as if this were not enough in your sight, O God, you have spoken about the future of the house of your servant. You have looked on me as though I were the most exalted of men, O LORD God.  "What more can David say to you for honoring your servant? For you know your servant….

 

David’s heart bothered him…because he had a finer home than he had provided for his Lord.  He was ready to build God ….the finest temple…of the finest materials…to honor the one true God of Israel.  But God had other plans for David…he was going to use David’s skills to conquer the neighboring kingdoms that worshiped other Gods….and usher in a time of peace…for one of his sons to build the temple.

 

And as soon as Nathan the prophet revealed God’s plan to him…he went straight to the tent of his Lord...and sat before him…and prayed.  David’s prayer was a humble prayer…that recognized his unworthiness to even be king…full of thanksgiving and praise for what he had done for him so far….and awestruck wonder at the promises God had made to him about his future.

 

David wanted to build God the grandest house anyone had ever lived in…but allowed his heart and soul to listen so well to God’s plan that he was willing to wait ….and let one of his sons….have the honor.  David’s heart was focused so completely on God that he could hear and follow his directions …no matter what they were.  David was so in tune to God’s plan for him...that it made perfect sense for one of his son’s to build it instead.

 

David’s humility and acceptance of what God told him is a model for all of us that think we have it all figured out.  I may have a grand scheme to praise and honor God…but it will mean nothing if it is not God’s will for me.  I need to be like David… humble….thankful….and ready to listen to and accept God’s plan…whatever it may be.

 

Father…thank you for this story that reminds me that you are welding together a great plan for my life.  Help me to be like David…and listen when you speak….so I can make sure I am doing what you want…and not what I want.  Help me be so focused on you Lord that I hear every word you whisper to me…to give me directions…to stay as close to you as I can. ....so if you tell me to wait...I can use your strength and power to wait.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment