Sunday, July 14, 2013

Obedience Is Active And Passive


1 Chronicles 10:13-14 -  Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance,  and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.

 

The Israelites were doomed to lose the battle from the start.  Their leader had left God out of the battle…even consulting mediums to plot his future.  And Saul paid for his disobedience with his life…as well as the life of his three sons. God knew this day was coming…and had already anointed David to be the next leader of Israel.

 

Saul had plenty of chances to obey God…but his jealousy and pride had kept his heart preoccupied with survival.  Saul’s  mind had forgotten the one who had anointed him king…so God allowed his death…and the death of his sons …so that his next choice for king could try to do a better job. 

 

Saul’s disobedience was both passive and active. He neglected God…and the distance that was created by his non-existent relationship with God… simply gave his heart permission to do whatever he wanted.  His life became one bad decision after another…totally ignoring any law God had written to govern his life.

 

Ouch...two reminders in one story!  My heart…and soul…and mind… should always be searching for ways to get closer to God.  My Bible study time increasing every day…my prayer time growing….my relationship with him intensifying till I am so full of his words…and so clear in his plan for my life that I have no doubts which direction he needs me to go. The active obedience of searching for him with my every breath will naturally result in a passive love that drives everything else I do…his love spilling over from the small heart I have into the lives of others.

 

Once more…I am hit in the face with my own insight…God making it clear that my hour or so of Bible study and mediation in the morning is not nearly enough to support the relationship he wants me to have with him. I simply must find more ways to incorporate learning more of his word into my daily routines.  I should find more time to pray...not make excuses that the other minutes of my day are filled up with other things.   Instead of moaning that I can’t sleep some nights…or questioning why he woke me up at 4 again this morning…and rolling back over to sleep once more…I should hit my knees right on the carpet beside my bed…and ask him to bless that time with some good God time.

 

Come to think of it…. Jesus woke in the early morning hours sometime to pray.  Maybe the lines to God are less crowded at 4…cause most others are still asleep. My heart wants to think that God never sleeps anyway….he is available 24/7…rain…sun…storm….sickness…or health.  His heart aches to hear from us…and most days we barely shout good morning on our way out the door to enjoy the world he created for us.  Guess I had better change that habit….and at least sit and drink some coffee with him…and tell him about my plans for the day…see if he approves of all my choices. All it can do is build a closer relationship with him.

 

Father…thank you for this reminder that my Bible study and prayer time need to be increased.  Help me to find more time to study and mediate on your word….filling my heart with all the ammunition I need to fight off the best laid plans of satan.  Show me more times in the day when I can slip into a prayer time with you…and not just petition you with the things my heart needs...but listen to what you need from me.  Create in me a clean heart oh Lord…that is drawn to spend more time with you than I do with anyone…or anything else you have placed in my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment