Thursday, July 18, 2013

One Prayer Does Not Fit All


1 Chronicles 14:13-17 -  Once more the Philistines raided the valley;  so David inquired of God again, and God answered him, "Do not go straight up, but circle around them and attack them in front of the balsam trees.  As soon as you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, move out to battle, because that will mean God has gone out in front of you to strike the Philistine army."  So David did as God commanded him, and they struck down the Philistine army, all the way from Gibeon to Gezer.  So David's fame spread throughout every land, and the LORD made all the nations fear him.

 

The Philistine army heard about David being made the new king and attacked his kingdom quickly. They went against him in full force…but lost the battle ...because David stopped to pray for God’s guidance and direction.  God handed the Philistines over to him in an easy defeat….and allowed him to destroy many idols of Baal that day.

 

But the Philistines must not have gotten the message…and they attacked him once more a few days later.   David asked God once again what to do….and was told that he would win…but he needed to fight in a different way this time.  His directions from God told him to circle around the Philistine camp….and listen to the tops of the balsam trees for the timing of when to strike out.

 

It is a reminder to me that one prayer does not last our whole lifetime….or even a week or a day.  God does not give us one direction for our lives that works in all situations.  God requires that we seek him in all that we do….large battle…or small decision….we should constantly be asking God what to do.  He has unique directions for each and every moment he allows us life….we should never assume that God always wants us to handle things the same way he told to handle it the first time.

 

I am guilty… leaving God out of a lot of small decisions.  It seems crazy to my heart to ever leave him out of a big decision…but it as easy as sliding that debit card for the groceries to never ask for his input in the small things.  I guess I had better stop thinking that I know what God thinks is best for me in any matter...and always stop and ask him what to do…small or large.

 

Father…I thank you for reminding me this morning that I need to always say a prayer…to ask you what to do…in all the situations I find myself…large or small.  Help me to stop and pray all day long …about the groceries I purchase… where to buy the gas I put in my car…...whether to walk a few miles…or rest on the couch and watch a movie.  Help me Lord to be like David…and stay in your will because I stop and pray for your directions in how to proceed….with any aspect of my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment