Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Do Your Feet Have Faith?


2 Kings 23:4-5  -  The king ordered Hilkiah the high priest, the priests next in rank and the doorkeepers to remove from the temple of the LORD all the articles made for Baal and Asherah and all the starry hosts. He burned them outside Jerusalem in the fields of the Kidron Valley and took the ashes to Bethel.  He did away with the pagan priests appointed by the kings of Judah to burn incense on the high places of the towns of Judah and on those around Jerusalem--those who burned incense to Baal, to the sun and moon, to the constellations and to all the starry hosts.

 

Josiah had just finished reading the entire book of the law to the priests….the prophets…all the people of Judah.  He called them all to the temple…and read to them every word that was written down.  And after they had listened to the words God gave to Moses on the mountain…they renewed their love for God…by making a promise …to keep the laws that were read to them all.

 

It was a pivotal point in Josiah’s faith….for he had absorbed the words so deeply into his heart that they lit a fire in his soul. …to reform not just the appearance of the temple…but the way his people worshiped God in it. The feet he put to the passionate faith in his heart…began to purge the land of Judah from any evidence that anyone had ever worshiped anyone else but God….even to the point of burning the idols of other Gods….turning them into ash.

 

Josiah modeled for us the deepest level of faith…that James spoke of in the new testament.  He used real examples of the Bible…like Rahab…who turned her life of harlotry into the life of a princess by helping the spies Joshua sent to search out the new land. His words from James 2:14-17…  ring so strong in my heart… “ What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” 

 

It is a reminder for me this morning to deepen my own faith to a level that not only sees the needs of others...but goes out to share the love of God with them.  And I can’t stop there…I must help them find the resources and supplies they need to change their lives.  Like Josiah…as God reveals the things I am doing that displease him…I need to remove them….and replace them with the things he requires of me to do his will.  My faith will become so strong that I am able to put feet to my love…and not just change my life…but become a vessel for others to change as well.

 

Father… I thank you for the love that you showed Josiah …that taught him how to search for you...and purge the things form his life that kept him from the purest worship of you.  Instill in me the same sense of humility and reverence for who you are….so I can transform my selfish heart into a heart that thinks of others first.  Put feet to my love…so that I can share who you are with others…and share the great blessing you have given me. Stretch my understanding of the faith you gave me …to include all the people you place around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment