Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Great Is God's Faithfulness







Lamentations 3:20-24 - My soul still remembers And sinks within me.  This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope.  Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.  "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!"


Jeremiah would never forget the destruction of his beloved city. He would always wonder what might have happened if the people had listened to him in time. And even though he starts this chapter with the words of a hopeless man…he finishes it with these great words of hope.

 

I heard the words in my soul of the great hymn …..Great Is Thy Faithfulness….as soon as I read these words.  I heard it many Sundays growing up in my childhood church. I found myself researching the history behind this great song as soon as I had finished reading my Bible last night.

 

Thomas Chisholm penned the words many years before William Runyan set it to music.  Thomas was an ordinary man like me. His life was full of struggles…yet he always held fast to the hope that God would provide all he needed to be happy and satisfied.

 

I found myself thinking that I too am just an ordinary woman.  God had been so faithful to me…through many hardships and some pain that I will never be able to complete rid my soul of.  But through it all he has also blessed me so much with many good things…friends….family…and the sweet task of writing. He has helped me pen over 900 blog posts in the last four years.

 

Father…thank you for never leaving my side and being so faithful to this sinner who never deserved one once of your love and care.  Forgive me for the times I have taken this for granted.  Help me to really internalize the great words of Thomas’s hymn…and moment by moment rest in all the care you will give me to supply all that I need. Amen.

 

 



http://youtu.be/SrsfCZvqGxQ

No comments:

Post a Comment