Sunday, October 5, 2014

Keep Your Focus On God...And He Will Give you Strength And Peace


Jeremiah 45:3-5 -You said, 'Woe to me! The LORD has added sorrow to my pain; I am worn out with groaning and find no rest.' "  The LORD said, "Say this to him: 'This is what the LORD says: I will overthrow what I have built and uproot what I have planted, throughout the land.  Should you then seek great things for yourself ? Seek them not. For I will bring disaster on all people, declares the LORD, but wherever you go I will let you escape with your life.' "

 

It is one of Jeremiah’s shortest chapters…it contains a direct message for his faithful scribe Baruch.  He had followed Jerimiah everywhere…writing down on scrolls the important messages God had given Jeremiah for the people. Baruch’s life had been very hard…and he was tired. He reached that point where his frustration wanted an out…he thought he could take no more.

 

God’s answer came through his friend Jeremiah quickly.  He told him to just hold on…not to think about the pain and sorrow of the present…to take his focus off of himself. Jeremiah told him to just continue to serve God by being his scribe and God would take care of him for the rest of his life…wherever he went.

 

I have been a Baruch many times…for when life beats me down I have a tendency to want to run away too. It just seems too much to bear…and I let the pain and hardness of the moment turn my focus to myself. I pray exactly like Baruch did…and cry out to God with tears and frustration that I have had enough.

 

It is a reminder to me to stop letting my pain and frustration cause me to take my focus off of God…and convince myself to run or give up again. What I need to do is read these words to Baruch over and over and let them help me focus back on God again. For once I have my eyes back on God…and stop crying my pain is too great…he sends me a peace that helps me deal with my problem. The pain doesn’t always stop….but his peace helps me keep from worrying about it anymore.

 

If we focus on ourselves…and what we might be missing during our storms….the result is frustration and confusion. But if we keep our focus on God… we find the strength and peace to continue in our pain and finish the task he placed us there to do in the first place. I am so glad that our perfect model Jesus…in his most painful moment…showed me that it is okay to call out to God in our pain…but when we hand the reins over to our father in heaven…and concede that his will is the better plan…the tears of pain and frustration that for Jesus were even magnified to bloody sweat… become the strength to carry the cross to the spot where we die to ourselves…and fulfill the plan that God placed us here to do. When we understand fully that we are servants…and stop seeking great things for ourselves…we begin to internalize the strength and wisdom and discernment we need to complete God’s will in our life.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that it’s not about me…but about what you need me to do while I have been granted life on your Earth. Forgive me for focusing too many times on myself…and letting my pan and confusion stop me from finishing the job you needed me to do. Forgive me for modeling to so many people how to run from my pain instead of how to let you give me peace and strength to work through it.  Help me to internalize a need to stay completely focused on you…so I can do a better job seeking your peace when things get hard the next time. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment