Monday, October 27, 2014

Pray For New Eyes To See The Majesty Of God


 

 

Ezekiel 10:10-12 - As for their appearance, the four of them looked alike; each was like a wheel intersecting a wheel.  As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the cherubim faced; the wheels did not turn about as the cherubim went. The cherubim went in whatever direction the head faced, without turning as they went.  Their entire bodies, including their backs, their hands and their wings, were completely full of eyes, as were their four wheels.

 

Ezekiel’s vision continued. The man dressed in white linen was told to collect some burning coals from among what were called cherubim…floating….on a floating wheel that went any direction they needed.  The glory of God followed them to the entrance of the temple…then to the courtyard…then rose completely out of the area where the temple stood. The spirit of the creatures was inside the wheels….and their bodies were covered with eyes. They looked exactly like the creatures he had seen in his other vision close to the Chebar Canal.

 

I had very few notes when I finished reading last night….just a simple summary of the events….and one note about the coals representing the purging of sin. And upon awaking this morning to write I got no help…for my alarm had not sounded and I was almost late for work….and had to skip writing till this afternoon. I sit here with no clue what this chapter really needs me to see or understand… uttering a few extras of the usual whispers to God to help me through this task…for the only thing I am sure of is that something IS there for me…to help me live closer to his will for me.

 

Perhaps this curious story of cherubim with wheels and a cloud containing the glory of God that seems to be moving away from the Holy of Holies that it used to live in….is meant to direct my human thinking to the pure awe we should have for God.  Ezekiel could only describe his essence as contained in a cloud…brightness that moved with the guardians God called cherubim. I am guilty of not entering into that state of awe enough…..my humanness keeps me way too focused on the world I see around me.

 

Perhaps the focus should be on the creatures…and the eyes and wheels that seem to be able to see and go anywhere with no notice.  They were so focused on God’s glory that the spirit within the wheels seemed to know where the glory was going at the same time as it moved. That would definitely be an improvement from the confusion I seem to live in most days.  Since I know that God is not the author of confusion…I pray for clarity…but seem to get more confusion in the myriad of choices I seem to have for options.

 

Maybe since those seem to be areas I need to improve…I need to work on both areas.   I need to keep working on shutting out the parts of the world that prevent me from focusing entirely on God… AND…. keep praying for clarity until I am sure my options are all God. That favorite Bible verse keeps ringing in my ears…..Jeremiah 29:11 says…. “I know the plans I have for you says the Lord.  They are plans to prosper you, and give you hope for your future.” So I will pray this afternoon for clarity…and eyes that see only the God options in my future....so I will be less confused.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are Holy….you deserve the greatest of reverence…an awe that is given only to the greatest of things in my life.  Thank you for reminding me that one way to see clearer is to pray for the eyes you gave me to see only your plans for my life.  Forgive me once again for allowing the world to distract me…and help me to shut out all the confusion that is keeping me from seeing your perfect will for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment