Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Irony Of True Humility


 

 

Ezekiel 11:1-4  -  Then the Spirit lifted me up and brought me to the gate of the house of the LORD that faces east. There at the entrance to the gate were twenty-five men, and I saw among them Jaazaniah son of Azzur and Pelatiah son of Benaiah, leaders of the people. The LORD said to me, "Son of man, these are the men who are plotting evil and giving wicked advice in this city.  They say, 'Will it not soon be time to build houses? This city is a cooking pot, and we are the meat.'

 

God gave Ezekiel a harsh message for the leaders of Israel. They had caused the people under them to follow in wickedness and evil ways. They had given evil advice and plotted to get ahead at the expense of the people they served. He had to tell these corrupt leaders that they were about to lose their lives for this great sin.

 

It is a bit ironic that the people who thought they were safe were doomed…and some of the people who suffered through the worst of the captivity in Babylon would actually become the remnant that carried on the Jewish line of ancestry. God works best through the humble heart…because it recognizes who has the real power to save.

 

It is a great reminder to me to keep working toward removing the pride that tries to puff up my heart into thinking it is better than it really is. I have to keep telling myself that I am nothing…except what God allows to help him work his purpose in the whole of creation.  Paul said it best in 2 Corinthians 12:10.  It says… “Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

 

Father…thank you for reminding me of my need to stay completely humble.   Forgive me for the times that I forget to give you all the glory and praise for the things you allow me to accomplish on this earth.  Help me to say thank you more often…and give you the credit for all I have and ever hope to be.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment