Thursday, October 16, 2014

I Hope We Can All Be Ready


Lamentations 4:16-18 -  The face of the Lord scattered them; He no longer regards them. The people do not respect the priests Nor show favor to the elders.  Still our eyes failed us, Watching vainly for our help; In our watching we watched For a nation that could not save us.  They tracked our steps So that we could not walk in our streets. Our end was near; Our days were over, For our end had come.

 

Jeremiah was recounting the horror of the end of Jerusalem. It was a horrific time filled with suffering like he had never known.  The city was under siege…for over two years.  There was no food supply and no way to provide for the many that were trapped inside…trying to leave meant immediate death. Many resorted to even eating their own children to survive.

 

I couldn’t help but think about the similarities in the book of Revelation.  It might even be worse. And when my eyes read the last sentence…my heart knew we might be closer to our own end than we care to admit….for many of the signs are already coming to pass.

 

My prayer is that I am ready…and one of the chosen that gets raptured up before the really horrible stuff starts.  But I have no guarantees that I will be in that group if I do not constantly grow closer to God and strengthen the small amount of faith he has already helped me internalize .

 

Here’s one more thought.  That house or condo I want to move to…that closet full of clothes I already own…the car I drive…they will mean nothing in those days. My body will shed all traces of this world if I am raptured.  And if I get left behind…I am pretty sure none of those things will help me survive the chaos for the full number of years God allows evil to control the Earth.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you have promised to return someday to gather your people to yourself and take them to live with you in heaven.  Forgive me for letting material things take my focus off of you for any amount of time.  Help me to focus completely on you so I will be ready when you come back. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment