Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pride Is A Dangerous Emotion


Jeremiah 49:4 and 16   -  Why do you boast of your valleys, boast of your valleys so fruitful? O unfaithful daughter, you trust in your riches and say, 'Who will attack me?'

The terror you inspire and the pride of your heart have deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks, who occupy the heights of the hill. Though you build your nest as high as the eagle's, from there I will bring you down," declares the LORD.

 

This chapter gives messages of destruction to four other nations that had settled in or around the land that God had given to the Israelites.  God was not happy with any of them.  Their lives had become a tribute to what they could accomplish on their own…none of them thought they needed God for any success.  Only the widows and the fatherless orphans would escape the punishments God had planned to stop their prideful hearts.

 

Pride is built in our heart when the successes we experience give us a false sense that we can exist without God’s help.   Wealth….fame….recognition…power…even beauty can cause our minds to believe in the material thing that gave us attention…not the God that blessed us with that natural ability or grace. 

 

Jeremiah is not the only Bible writer to warn us about the dangers of pride.  Read the whole chapter of Ezekiel 28…and listen to what Mark had to say in 7:20-23…. “He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.'  For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery,  greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.  All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' "

 

God wants us to be completely dependent on him. He grants us wealth…fame…recognition…beauty…or power because he lives us. He wants us to use these great gifts to draw attention to him….because he gave them to us. He wants us to use them to lift him up so the world will know who he is and realize the greatest power in the world is realizing that we are nothing without him. It isn’t a weakness to admit that you are powerless…it is empowering to admit that your strength comes from God.

 

I admit that I needed this reminder today.  God has been very good to me most of my life….and especially good to me since I crawled up in his lap after my sweet second husband passed away. I understood exactly why God spared those orphans and widows.  Our tender hearts are very vulnerable….they need to learn to completely trust in the future purposes for our loss …before we can take even one step forward from our pain.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are completely in control of everything I have been blessed with.  I thank you for the blessings of life….the resources to care for myself….and everything else that you have given me to help me be thankful…even for the losses in my life. Forgive me for letting any pride take root for even a moment in my heart.  If any resides there this morning….remove it from there promptly before it causes me to stop depending on you for what I need. Let all my confidence be completely in you….for the rest of the days you grant me on this earth…no matter what.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment