Friday, October 31, 2014

The Outside Has To Match The Inside


 

 

Ezekiel 14:3-5 -"Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all?  Therefore speak to them and tell them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When any Israelite sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet, I the LORD will answer him myself in keeping with his great idolatry.  I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols.'

 

Some of the elders had gone to ask Ezekiel to ask God to send them a message. God was so angry that they had become so double minded…worshiping idols in their hearts….but still wanting God to help them as well. Gods answer to them was harsh…full of judgment….disease…famine…war….wild beast attacks….and plagues.

 

The Ten Commandments tell us to have no other gods before the Lord…but we don’t always see the shopping…the bigger pay check…or the other things we do as other gods.  Anything that shoves God into second place in our lives is technically an idol to God.

 

Jesus quoted this law in Matthew 22:37.  It says…. ‘Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' If we truly do that…our outside matches the heart inside…and God truly comes first.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder to keep God first.  Forgive me for letting anything in my life become a stumbling block or idol.  Help me to uncover the things in my life that I still need to let go of so you can have complete control of my heart…and mind…and soul. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment