Saturday, November 1, 2014

Useless....Or.....Useful?


 

 

Ezekiel 15:1-4 - The word of the LORD came to me:  "Son of man, how is the wood of a vine better than that of a branch on any of the trees in the forest?  Is wood ever taken from it to make anything useful? Do they make pegs from it to hang things on?  And after it is thrown on the fire as fuel and the fire burns both ends and chars the middle, is it then useful for anything?

 

God gave Ezekiel a word for the people of Jerusalem. He called them useless vines...charred on both ends from what they had been through…but still useless because they had learned nothing. The captivity they had suffered did not teach them anything about following God…it was nothing but the passing of time…while they continued to do what they wanted.

 

The hardships that God allows in our lives should teach us more about how to follow his ways.  They should bring us closer to his will. They should teach us how to lay all that we have in his hands and let him have total control.

 

When Jesus came…he talked about the vine in a different context.  He said that he was the vine…and we should be connected to him so that we could bear fruit. John 15:5 says…."I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”

 

I admit that don’t stay connected 24/7 like I should.  I let life…busy schedules…tiredness…and even selfishness interrupt my time with God.  I am the charred vine from Ezekiel’s time…burned more than once so God can teach me something…but so hardheaded I don’t get it even then. I need to stay connected to him…so he can help me learn what he needs me to learn to be useful to him.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to stay connected to you so I can become a useful branch on your vine.  Forgive me for the times that I have let the world distract me…and let the world char me for no real purpose.  Take all my scars and wounds from life and help me see the lessons you needed me to learn…so I can be a branch that bears fruit for your kingdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment