Saturday, November 15, 2014

Praise God In All Things


Ezekiel 29:1-3 -  In the tenth year, in the tenth month on the twelfth day, the word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, set your face against Pharaoh king of Egypt and prophesy against him and against all Egypt. Speak to him and say: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: " 'I am against you, Pharaoh king of Egypt, you great monster lying among your streams. You say, "The Nile is mine; I made it for myself."

 

Ezekiel was given a word for the leader of Egypt.  He had tortured the chosen people of God….but worse than that he had claimed to make and own the river that gave life to his country. God likened him to a great dragon…and said he would drag him out of his watery home and let him die with all the fish from the river he said he had made.

 

It is a great reminder to me to never take credit for anything that materializes in my life.  Job’s great words of praise whisper in my ear from Job 1:21…. “and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." Even in his great sorrow he knew where his strength and power to do anything came from.

 

God wants us to give him glory and praise for everything we do. Some people think I am a little too exuberant sometimes when I shout out praise for a little thing like a copy machine working when I needed it really bad….and perhaps only the teachers that read my blog will understand the depths of my appreciation for a seemingly small thing. But just the process of smiling and telling God thank you lifts me up…gives me a bit more power and strength to go on with my task.

 

I will admit that most days I forget to praise…and I need to permanently stamp Philippians 2:14 somewhere I will see it before I open my mouth.  It says… “Do everything without grumbling or arguing.” The frustration satan tricks me into spirals into some of my worst days because I forget to praise God for anything those days.

 

The hardest times to praise God for me are for the losses in my life. But I will say that the days that I find enough courage and will to thank God for my divorce…and praise him for allowing even one month with my second husband Mitchell before he called him home…those are the days I feel the closest to my God. He does what he promised in Isaiah 40:31…. “ but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

 

Father…thank you for reminding me to stay in a constant mode of praise to you.  Forgive me for the times that I have let my spirit slip into grumbling and complaining. Help me to find a way to stop and praise you for all the things ….good or bad….so you can help me see past the pain in what I think are troubles. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment