Thursday, November 20, 2014

Strengthen....Exhort...Edify


Ezekiel 34:25-27 - " 'I will make a covenant of peace with them and rid the land of wild beasts so that they may live in the desert and sleep in the forests in safety.  I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing.  The trees of the field will yield their fruit and the ground will yield its crops; the people will be secure in their land. They will know that I am the LORD, when I break the bars of their yoke and rescue them from the hands of those who enslaved them.
 
God was angry at the leaders he had left to shepherd the people.  They had become greedy and selfish.  They were looking out for number one and had let God’s people starve…become ill…lose their way completely.  What was worse is that they did not see the problem in taking the best food and letting everyone else fend for themselves. They thought that their leadership position gave them some special rights.
 
They were right about one thing…their leadership position did give them special rights…but they had the rights completely backward. Shepherds are called to strengthen…to edify….to exhort those that they are called to lead. The resources that God had sent their way were meant to build up his people…not keep a select few in wealth and full stomachs.
 
It’s a reminder to me to always share what God has given me with others. I Corinthians 13 has the details of how to do that.  We are to be patient and kind…and giving. We are not to demand our own way…but sacrifice for others. Love is an action word…it is not meant to be hoarded or kept in a safe for later use. Love gives of its best…and doesn’t just leave their leftovers in boxes outside the goodwill store.
 
Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to share. Forgive me for the times that I have been selfish and only given to make myself feel better…or to get rid of the things I didn’t want anymore. Help me to use the resources and blessings that you have poured into my life to help others. Help me hear your voice and know exactly what and when to give to others in need. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment