Tuesday, November 25, 2014

God's Promise Of His Spirit


Ezekiel 39:28-29 - Then they will know that I am the LORD their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind.  I will no longer hide my face from them, for I will pour out my Spirit on the house of Israel, declares the Sovereign LORD."

 

God had a lot to say to this evil king Gog. He gave Ezekiel another whole chapter to record the details of his destruction.  Eighty-five percent of Gog’s army would be destroyed...and after the birds of prey had cleaned up some of the mess….the Israelites would rally teams together to bury the rest. The land would need to be cleansed of all the blood that was shed…so it would not be defiled anymore.

 

From that moment on God was going to begin the promise of restoration.  He was going to end the need for captivity and bless them once again. He made a promise to never turn his face on them again…but to pour out his spirit on them…and make them strong.  God wanted them to know that he held the ultimate power to bring judgment or blessing.

 

He had poured out his spirit on individuals before….the many prophets…Moses…David…and Samson to name just a few.  His spirit descended like a dove on his son…and powered him to give us the most wonderful gift of salvation through the cross. After his resurrection he promised once again to send the spirit…and poured it out on all who attended the great day of Pentecost recorded in Acts 2. If we read a bit further…..verses 17-18 record one more promise for the end days… " 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.  Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.

 

It is my strong belief that God will pour out more of his spirit as needed until that day arrives.  He pours it into simple people….who are willing to do his work.  The spirit he gives …powers us with no special skills…to do whatever he asks of us. I feel his spirit strong when I am singing….or worshiping…or writing…or reading his word…or praying.  It gives me strength…comfort…joy to know that no matter what that spirit will always be available to lift me out of the stall patterns life sometimes weighs me down with.

 

Father...I thank you for the reminder that your spirit is always available to me.  Thank you for the precious gift that made it possible for all who believe to experience the deep comfort and power that your spirit gives.  Forgive me for the times that I wallow for times in pity and loneliness before I remember to call on you to fill me up with enough spirit to lift me up again.  Help me to keep a dose of spirit level in my heart…and not wait till am empty to ask for a fill up again.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment