Monday, November 24, 2014

A Peek At The Ending


Ezekiel 38:14-16 - "Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say to Gog: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: In that day, when my people Israel are living in safety, will you not take notice of it?  You will come from your place in the far north, you and many nations with you, all of them riding on horses, a great horde, a mighty army. You will advance against my people Israel like a cloud that covers the land. In days to come, O Gog, I will bring you against my land, so that the nations may know me when I show myself holy through you before their eyes.

 

It is one of the most confusing words from God that Ezekiel must have heard.  Just after he had been told to tell the people to look forward to a time of restoration….he was told to prophecy against the nation that would someday attach them again. The evil Gog and Magog would be destroyed in the end…but would be used one more time to bring judgment on people that just couldn’t seem to stop good times from puffing them up and wandering away from God time after time.

 

It is discussed again in just a few verses of revelation 20.  Verses 7-10 say… “ When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison  and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth--Gog and Magog--to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore.  They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God's people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them.  And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

 

Perhaps it was just God’s way of giving us a glimpse of the big picture…the ending. I like to think that Satan will be tricked into a false confidence…and rally one last time before God places him in his permanent domain forever. Then no evil will ever be allowed to control any of God’s created Earth…peace will reign forever.

 

For me…it is a reminder that until that time…satan will roam and try to trick as many of us as he can into joining his side.  We must constantly be wary of falling too far away from God as the Israelites did so many times.  Only the ones that stay committed and accept the hardships and persecution that sometimes comes with following him will last till the end. I sure needed the reminder...and will need it again because the flesh in our bodies is drawn toward what satan makes look like the easy way naturally.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that evil is always out there looking for a way into my heart.  Forgive me for the times that I allow my flesh to win out…and let satan trick me. Help me to lift my face towards your love and sweet mercy and call out for new strength to be more committed to your commands.  Help me be strong and recognize when satan is trying to trick me so I can tell him to take a hike the next time.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment