Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Always Use Words Of Love And Compassion


 

 

Ezekiel 25:6-7 -   For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Because you have clapped your hands and stamped your feet, rejoicing with all the malice of your heart against the land of Israel,  therefore I will stretch out my hand against you and give you as plunder to the nations. I will cut you off from the nations and exterminate you from the countries. I will destroy you, and you will know that I am the LORD.' "

 

God gave Ezekiel a word for the 7 nations that surrounded the nation of Israel. They too would suffer punishment because of the many things that they had done to scoff and berate God’s chosen people. The Ammonites….the Moabites…the Edomites…and the Phististines had all angered God to the point that he was going to put an end to the issue.

 

The list of sins against God included laughing at or taunting…scoffing or making fun of…finding pleasure in the wickedness around them…racial hatred and feeling joy when the Jews found hard times…or putting them down in any way. God’s punishment ranged from letting the Bedouins take over and capture some of the land…to complete destruction of some of the nations that had never believed in the one true God of the Israelites.

 

It is a vivid reminder to me of how important it is to never let these practices become a part of my own routines of dealing with others around me. Laughing at…taunting….finding joy when anyone is allowed to be brought low in any way…or putting someone down in anyway is not appropriate for someone who has embedded God’s love in their heart. My life should overflow with compassion and mercy…just like Jesus modeled for us during his 33 years on Earth.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder to keep my heart free of behaviors that berate others…whether they are believers or nonbelievers.  Forgive me for the times that I am guilty of some of the behaviors in Ezekiel’s list.  Help me to always search my heart for the compassion and mercy you would want me to use the next time I am tempted to be so callous and cold again. Help me find a way to love through the issues I find with those around me…and model for them your love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment