Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Don't Give In....Let God Help You Wait


Ezekiel 40:2-4 -  In the visions of God brought he me into the land of Israel, and set me upon a very high mountain, by which was as the frame of a city on the south.    And he brought me thither, and, behold, there was a man, whose appearance was like the appearance of brass, with a line of flax in his hand, and a measuring reed;  and he stood in the gate.   And the man said unto me, Son of man, behold with thine eyes, and hear with thine ears, and set thine heart upon all that I shall show thee;  for to the intent that I might show them unto thee art thou brought hither:  declare all that thou seest to the house of Israel.  

 

Twenty-five years into the exile of God’s people….God gave Ezekiel a precious vision.  He took him to a high mountain and let him see a man sitting in front of the Temple gate…glowing like bronze…carrying measuring instruments in his hands.  They walked among the passageways and rooms of a beautiful Temple…and Ezekiel was told to listen carefully to measurement after measurement of the rooms and passageways that they walked….so he could tell the people what he saw.

 

Theologians debate the meaning of this vision…but perhaps the simplest of theories for me is that God wanted to give these people who lived through a horrific time new hope. Their last memory was of a Temple destroyed…rubble laying on the ground as they were carried away. Perhaps the copious measurements of the Temple he saw in his vision was meant to give them a tangible picture in their heart and mind to cling to in the last days before their release.

 

We tend to allow our flesh to give in just before the hardest times have passed.  I sure can’t count on my fingers and toes the number of times that I have given up and I am sure missed a huge blessing at the end of my wait. But one of my dreams…to move back home and retire…is still in a huge waiting pattern.  I am sure in my heart that God has said yes…but I find myself waiting longer than I thought to see the blessing at the end of this dream.  I know that God has a plan…and it will happen….I just have to hold on till he has all the pieces in place to make it happen.

 

I sure needed the reminder this morning as I sit at my mom and dad’s house ….spending some time visiting and preparing to celebrate Thanksgiving 2014.  Every time I come home and look one more time at possible places to setup residence where I grew up….I wonder if this will be the trip that ends my wait. It is the hope  that Ezekiel’s vision gives me that keeps satan from confusing me into giving up this time.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you have a plan to prosper me and give me hope for my future.  Forgive me for letting my resolve grow weak and letting satan trick me into doubting your promises.  Help me to hold long as long as it takes for you to prepare the blessing you have waiting for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment