Monday, November 3, 2014

The Best Present Ever


 

Ezekiel 17:22-23 -   'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will take a shoot from the very top of a cedar and plant it; I will break off a tender sprig from its topmost shoots and plant it on a high and lofty mountain. On the mountain heights of Israel I will plant it; it will produce branches and bear fruit and become a splendid cedar. Birds of every kind will nest in it; they will find shelter in the shade of its branches.

 

God gave Ezekiel a word for the people in riddle form. It used eagles and cedar shoots to explain what had happened in Jerusalem and Israel. It explained how man had tried to do things on their own power and failed.  It explained how man had tried to get out of the punishment God intended…but all they did was make their life worse.

 

These verses foretold the coming of the Messiah…the plan of God that would end the need for any more blood sacrifices.  God was planning to allow his son to come to earth as a baby….and grow up to show the world what his father’s love should look like.  His love for us would be so great he would die for all our sins….mine and anyone else ever born.

 

Isaiah spoke of Jesus’ coming too.  He said in Isaiah 11:1-3 ….. A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.  The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him-- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD--  and he will delight in the fear of the LORD. He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes, or decide by what he hears with his ears;

 

I can’t help but think that it is the best present anyone ever gave me for my birthday. I turn 56 this morning. I just can’t imagine living the last 42 years without this precious gift of salvation. I haven’t got the full meaning of it yet….cause God’s still working on me.  I am still learning how to do it Jesus style…to listen with my heart….to see with his love…to fear God above all else.

 

Thank you for waking me up to begin yet one more year of life this morning. Thank you for the reminder that I got the best present for my birthday 42 years ago….and you are still teaching me how to use it to its fullest.  Forgive me for not reading the directions to your precious gift with more rigor…and help me to spend even more time understanding how to use the gift of love you gave me.  Teach me how to use my heart to hear and see the needs around me each day…so I can pass on the great gift you gave me to others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment