Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Stay Connected To The Source Of Life


 

 

Ezekiel 19:10-12 -  " 'Your mother was like a vine in your vineyard planted by the water; it was fruitful and full of branches because of abundant water.  Its branches were strong, fit for a ruler's scepter. It towered high above the thick foliage, conspicuous for its height and for its many branches. But it was uprooted in fury and thrown to the ground. The east wind made it shrivel, it was stripped of its fruit; its strong branches withered and fire consumed them.

 

Ezekiel was given this word for Israel.  It was called a lament….a word of mourning over the future of its people. He used the analogy of a vine planted near water to describe how strong they had once been.  It had purpose and strength as long as it was planted near the source of water that fed it. The problem was that they wandered away from the source of strength. …and God in his anger uprooted the whole nation to punish them for their sins.

 

King David understood how this separation felt when he wrote Psalm 42. He used the picture of a sweet deer….searching desperately for a drink of water to describe how much he needed God in his life.  His soul longed for God the way the deer searched for that life giving water.

 

It is the sin in our life that separates us from that source of life.  Ezekiel used the phrase….decays from within….in verse 14.  It helps me see that the problem is that I wander away from God….I let life and its busy schedule….greed….selfishness…and general impatience send me walking away from my source of strength and life.   And before you know it…I am so far away I don’t realize just how sinful my life has become.

 

It is a great reminder to me this morning to stay connected no matter what it takes…to open that Bible every day and try to drink from its wisdom.  I need to spend some time talking with God every day…and make sure part of that time is just listening to what he has to say to me.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to stay close to the source of my strength and life.  Forgive me for the times that I have let life entice me too far away from you to see how it is damaging my walk with you. Help me to stay so hungry for your love and care….so thankful for your touch of comfort and mercy…that I can’t stand even one minute away from your presence.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment