Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Natural Consequences....Not Punishment


 

 

Ezekiel 18:30-32 -  "Therefore, O house of Israel, I will judge you, each one according to his ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall.  Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel?  For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

 

God gave Ezekiel a word to settle the belief that others were punished for the sins of their ancestors.  They falsely held on to the belief and even quoted verses form Exodus 34:6-7 to support their belief. God told Ezekiel to tell them that this belief was wrong…and all proverbs containing that concept should be destroyed.

 

We are all judged for our own sin….each one accountable to God.  Every sin we commit must be confessed and we must turn from it….rid our lives of anything that might cause us to fall back into it. God washes it away and gives us a new heart …..a new spirit that contains his power and goodness to love others as his son modeled for us.

 

The problem is we can’t always erase the natural consequences that come from the sin that was committed.  We sometimes suffer the effects of someone’s past sin….we feel pain from their choices. Even after we have confessed our sin….the effects of it continue forever in the lives of others.

 

That makes it even more important for me to try and make the right choices from now on. I can’t take back the hurt I have caused others for any sins I have committed. All I can do is own up to my mistakes….make amends to those that I have hurt….and ask God to help me forgive myself.  That way I don’t have to backtrack and repeat the process for sinning again.

 

One last thought.  It is even more important to let your heart remember that God doesn’t want us to wallow in the hurt others have caused us. He expects us to offer the same forgiveness that he offers us. It isn’t always easy….but it can be a powerful tool of peace in your own life that will power you to love others more deeply.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am responsible for my sin only.  Forgive me for the hurt I have caused others…and continue to let those people cross my path so I can make amends to them.  Help me to not make excuses for the hurt others have caused me….but allow you to flood me with the power and love to forgive them…so healing and restoration can begin in our troubled world.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment