Wednesday, November 19, 2014

God Always Offers Hope And Restoration


Ezekiel 33:11-12 -  Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?'  "Therefore, son of man, say to your countrymen, 'The righteousness of the righteous man will not save him when he disobeys, and the wickedness of the wicked man will not cause him to fall when he turns from it. The righteous man, if he sins, will not be allowed to live because of his former righteousness.'

 

Ezekiel was given a word for the people of Judah. Ezekiel was finally able to preach hope and restoration to the people of Judah. God wanted them to know the truth of his heart…he took no pleasure in the destruction that was happening around them.  His will was that all come to follow him and live righteous lives…but evil would not be tolerated forever.  Evil men would die.

 

God is clear here…it is not our righteousness that saves us….it is our belief in a mighty God who sent his son to die for all our sins. All that God requires is for us to turn from any sins we were committing…and begin to let his love power us to do good in the world. No amount of good works will save us if they happen apart from a belief in God.

 

God is also clear that no sin is too great to be purged from the heart of one who turns from that sin and begins a life with God.  His sin is washed clean as the whitest snow and then God dries them in his love. The need and drive to do evil is replaced with a passion to do good.

 

It is a reminder to me to remember that no matter what a person has done…they can still become a child of God.  It is also a reminder that I must be careful to guard my heart from sin…and constantly ask God to clean me up and dry me off with a fresh towel of love.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that your love can overcome the darkest evil. Forgive me for the times that I have judged evil instead of offering it your hope of cleansing and freedom. Wash me new this morning of all the sin in my life …and power me to do the things that you have planned for me to help you spread love to all. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment