Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Dangers Of Being Double Minded


 

 

Ezekiel 23:38-39 -  They have also done this to me: At that same time they defiled my sanctuary and desecrated my Sabbaths. On the very day they sacrificed their children to their idols, they entered my sanctuary and desecrated it. That is what they did in my house.

 

Ezekiel was given a message for the northern and southern kingdoms. He likened them to prostitute sisters who gave themselves away to the nations around them.  They forgot the promise the made to God….and worshiped the idols of any nation they pleased. God had had enough of the two-faced hearts of his choose people….and he told them so in very harsh words.

 

It is inconceivable to me that a parent would believe it was ever okay to sacrifice a child to any god….but they had gotten to that point. And if that was not enough sin…they would go straight to God’s Holy Temple and offer a sacrifice to him too. They believed that they were covering all their bases…just in case one of those gods’ might help them out.

 

They forgot that God is a jealous god and would not allow them to play both sides of the fence.  He required all of their love…and would not share them with anyone.  He said the practice of loving more than one god was just as bad as prostituting themselves to other men when they were promised in marriage to another.

 

It is a reminder to me to be very careful to repent of any sin he exposes in my life before I go to worship him.  I can’t do what I want all week and expect God to look the other way when I go to worship him on Sundays. He let James 4:4 record these words….”You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.”  That is pretty clear to me.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that all of my heart must belong to you.  Forgive me for the times that I have let the world seep into my week then expect you to pick up the mess I have caused because I took my eyes off of you for a time.  Help me to stay focused on you …. so the world looks less attractive to my human heart. Help me wake each day with a new resolve to follow you more closely that the day before.  Amen.

1 comment: