Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Love Past Your Feelings Of Hate Or Pleasure


 

 

Ezekiel 26:15-16 - "This is what the Sovereign LORD says to Tyre: Will not the coastlands tremble at the sound of your fall, when the wounded groan and the slaughter takes place in you? Then all the princes of the coast will step down from their thrones and lay aside their robes and take off their embroidered garments. Clothed with terror, they will sit on the ground, trembling every moment, appalled at you.

 

God did not leave out the nation of Tyre when he handed down his judgment of the nations that lived around is people.  They were so pleased with the fall of Judah and the control of the land trade routes that they celebrated a bit too much for God. He poured out his wrath on these who coveted the land he meant for his people…and the city they lived in was completely destroyed…never to be rebuilt ….even to this day.

 

It is another reminder to me to never take pleasure in the downfall of others….even if we think they deserve it. We are never to find any pleasure in others pain….even if we have been hurt or wronged by them. Proverbs 24:17 says… “Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice.”

 

A piece of this story also reminds me that God uses great tragedy in our lives to awaken our need for him. The many rulers around this city realized that God was a force to never reckon with.  They took off their royal robes and mourned publicly for the loss of this place and the many lives that were lost. They felt the true fear of God as they sat with trembling hearts.

 

I understand both too well. Finding forgiveness in a divorce situation is not easy…but finding it powers your heart to love everyone around you more deeply.  Likewise, losing my second husband was not an easy thing ….but because I chose to cling to God…it has led me to a deeper relationship with him.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder to always pray for justice…but never to celebrate when we are honored to see it take place.  Forgive me for the times that I have gloated over justice…and forgotten to pray for the innocent that may have been hurt in the process. I thank you for the short time you allowed with my sweet Mitchell…and all he taught me about the true meaning of love.  Help me to always to be thankful …letting it be a reminder of who you are and that you control everything in my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment