Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Death Holds No Future Apart From God


Ezekiel 32:12-15 -   I will cause your hordes to fall by the swords of mighty men-- the most ruthless of all nations. They will shatter the pride of Egypt, and all her hordes will be overthrown.  I will destroy all her cattle from beside abundant waters no longer to be stirred by the foot of man or muddied by the hoofs of cattle.  Then I will let her waters settle and make her streams flow like oil, declares the Sovereign LORD.  When I make Egypt desolate and strip the land of everything in it, when I strike down all who live there, then they will know that I am the LORD.'

 

God just kept adding details to the message of destruction he gave to Ezekiel concerning Egypt. Death would come….and it would bring nothing good for anyone involved. The sight of it would make anyone who was left alive to tremble and realize that God alone was sovereign.  God told Ezekiel to weep for all the lives that had chosen not to follow God and would be left forever in what was called ‘the nether world.’

 

It is a great reminder to me that death holds no future apart from belief in God. Jesus came and did away with the holding tank the Jews called the nether world.  His sacrifice on the cross of a perfect life conquered death and he rose victorious to give all of us an opportunity to join him.  All we have to do is believe….just like the thief that hung next to him on the cross.

 

Father...thank you for the gift you gave me in Jesus. Thank you for making a way for me to have the opportunity to live with you forever. Forgive me for the times that forget the great sacrifice you made and take my time in the temporary home for granted.  Help me seek ways to be more focused and find ways to share your story so more people will believe.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment